Wanted: experienced bird watchers!
Posted on 29 October, 2020 by Jess
Connecting Country’s bird monitoring program allows us to see if all our hard work restoring habitat is actually making a difference, and to assess the status of our woodland birds in the Mount Alexander region of Central Victoria. Back in 2010, with help from experts, we carefully set up a bird monitoring program at selected locations across the region. Every year we go back to survey theses sites, providing valuable information to guide future decisions.
These days, our surveys are done entirely by volunteers – our community champions.
We’re now looking for more people local to the Mount Alexander area to be part of this program and assist with our bird surveys. We’re particularly looking for people to survey sites in around Harcourt, Sedgwick, Sutton Grange and Taradale areas.
To be involved in this program you will need to:
- Be able to confidently identify bird species in the Mount Alexander area by sight as well as from their call
- Have a reasonable level of fitness and able to traverse rough ground
- Know how to conduct a 2 ha 20 min area search (we can help with this)
- Liaise with private landholders
- Be comfortable navigating to and from survey sites using a GPS on your phone
- Attend an online induction
- Follow safety protocols and adhere to current COVID-19 restrictions
We will support you, and can provide training on conducting surveys and navigation if required. However, having great bird ID skills is essential.
If you’re keen to be involved please email Jess Lawton (Monitoring Coordinator) including a brief description of any experience you have with bird identification and surveys, and a phone number: email@example.com
Jess will then get in touch to discuss and provide more information.