Seeking volunteers for 2021 nest box checks
Posted on 10 March, 2021 by Jess
Monitoring our favorite marsupial, the frisky Brush-tailed Phascogale, is one of our core monitoring activities here at Connecting Country. We’re excited to be planning our nest box monitoring for autumn 2021.
Connecting Country’s nest box monitoring program was established in 2010. Our 450 nest boxes across the Mount Alexander region of central Victoria allow us to collect valuable scientific data about the threatened Brush-tailed Phascogale and other arboreal mammals. For more information on our nest box monitoring – click here
This year, our nest boxes will be surveyed by an intrepid team of trained volunteer team leaders. Volunteering on environmental projects is a great way to learn about our local environment, keep active, contribute to nature conservation, learn skills and meet new people.
We are looking for people who may be able to assist us in two ways.
1. Volunteer field helpers
This will involve assisting Volunteer Team Leaders to conduct nest box surveys, with feet planted firmly on the ground (i.e., not climbing ladders). This role involves:
- Travel within the Mount Alexander region
- Following safety procedures
- Carrying ladders and equipment to sites
- Helping to navigate to sites
- Writing observations and recording data
- Taking photos
Field work roles require working on uneven ground and carrying ladders (these are heavy!) through the bush, sometimes in hot or cold weather. Some sites require hikes through uneven terrain, or climbing over fences. Volunteers require a reasonable level of fitness, and an adventurous spirit!
2. Volunteer in the office
This could suit someone local who is willing to commit a short amount of time more regularly (e.g., 1 – 2 hours a week between April and June) managing paperwork and data sheets from the Castlemaine office. This may involve:
- Helping to record who has filled out paperwork
- Scanning and organising data sheets
- Assisting with entering and curating data
If you are interested in assisting us, please send a brief email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating:
- If you would prefer to assist as a field helper, or in the office
- Your availability during April and May 2021
- Why you are interested in volunteering (so we can do our best to make your volunteering experience as useful as possible for you!)
- Any relevant experience
- Any questions you have
We look forward to hearing from you!