Restoring landscapes across the Mount Alexander Region

8 Sept 2017 – Banksia ecology presentation

Posted on 5 September, 2017 by chris

The guest speaker at the September meeting of the Castlemaine Field Naturalists Club (CFNC) is Simon Heyes.  Simon  is currently studying for his Masters in Research at La Trobe on Banksia recruitment. He is looking at why banksias aren’t regenerating, and is also researching the ecology patterns of recruitment for Banksia marginata on the plains.

The presentation is from 7.30pm on Friday 8 September in the Fellowship Room, behind the Uniting Church on Lyttleton St (next door to the Castlemaine Art Gallery).  Members and visitors are all welcome, and there is no cost for entry.

To whet your appetite for Simon’s presentation, the following link is to an article written by Ian Lunt in 2014 about Banksia marginata (CLICK HERE).  The comments and discussion at the end of the article are also quite interesting.

A European bee visits a fine specimen of Banksia marginata in flower. Pic from Wikimedia Commons.

Share this...Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

2 responses to “8 Sept 2017 – Banksia ecology presentation”

  1. David Cheal says:

    Yet again this newsletter arrived AFTER some of the events advertized within had occurred. It’s difficult to retrospectively attend.

    • chris says:

      Hi David, I’m sorry to hear that you missed the talk. Sometimes we hear about these events ourselves only less than one week before they are to occur – which is what happened this time. In these cases, we always try to prepare blogs and post them onto the CC website as quickly as possible. We posted the blog about this banksia presentation to our website on Tuesday 5 August, three days before the event. Unfortunately, all the blog subscribers who receive a weekly summary of CC blogs (which are automatically sent out on Saturday mornings) only received notification of this banksia event only after it had occurred. About ~25% of our blog subscribers get the weekly summary, with the other ~75% receiving daily notification when there is a new blog. The only way I can think of to avoid this occurring again would be for people on a weekly subscription to change their subscription setting to the daily option – however, this does increase the number of emails that you’ll receive from CC, which not everyone appreciates. Apologies, Chris

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

« | »