Minutes of Connecting Country Reference Group meeting March 26 2009
Posted on 7 April, 2009 by Connecting Country
Minutes of Connecting Country Reference Group meeting
Present: Geoff Park, Maurie Dynon, Doug Ralph, Bernard Slattery, Marie Jones, Deirdre Slattery, Jan Hall, Julia Brown, Beth Mellick, Julie Hurley, Chris Morris, Malcolm Fyffe
Apologies: Elvyne Hogan, Patrick Kavanagh, Christine Kilmartin,Peter Johnson, Janis Stewart, Tim Read, Krista Patterson-Majoor, Virginia Adrian, Phil Ingamells
1. Marie welcomed Julia Brown, newly appointed CC project officer.
2. Indigenous Flora Guide: Beth reported on this proposal from the Castlemaine Field Naturalists. It was agreed to seek PV/DSE and CMA funding for it; CC funds will also contribute; it is expected that FOBIF will have a representative on the editorial committee.
a. Marie read a letter of support from Uncle Brian Nelson. This letter will be posted on the website.
b. Geoff outlined our application for funding, its position in the CMA package, and the funding process. The application is built around the Phascogale, and focuses on Woodland environments. It includes roles for stewardship [Bush Tender, fencing, etc]; Community Education; Monitoring programs; and Landcare support. It includes two employed positions: on ground coordination and Landcare coordination. It would amount to about $600,000 and envisages a four year time scale.
c. The meeting recorded its appreciation for those responsible for the heavy work involved in preparing this application.
4. Landcare: coordinators’ positions end in June. After that, coordinator positions may be tied to network projects. A local Landcare meeting will be held on May 7 at the Campbell’s Creek Community centre to discuss the future of landcare in MA Shire.
5. Beth has prepared a media release (accompanied by a photo) of the announcement of further NWF funding for a Project Officer, the updating and promotion of the website and a contribution to the Indigenous Flora Guide.
6. The names of all those who had registered sightings of the Brush-tailed Phascogale were placed in a hat. The individual prize went to Nick Halliday from Golden Point Landcare and the group prize to Geraldine Harris, Barkers Creek Landcare. Thanks to Beth for organising this special treat!
7. The next CC Reference Group meeting will be on Thursday May 14th at 1.30 p.m. in the Chewton Town Hall
• to see how the CFOC application is going,
• discuss ideas on how to use the mapping program,
• finalise planning for the facilitated workshop on future projects – this workshop to be held at the end of May/early June.
8. Thanks were expressed to Peter McConnell for allowing us the use of the Castlemaine South School and its facilities.
9. Geoff gave a presentation on how to use the mapping tool on www.connectincountry.org.au Other sessions to be planned for interested groups.